Dirge for Ammad
Crime and Punishment
Laws in Ammad, especially petty crimes, are usually judged differently based on where the crime was committed. While there maybe many different punishments for a crime, the actually penalty varies based on severity of the crime. For these purpose the city is divided into three parts:
- Lower Wards: Anchor Ward, Brick Ward, Enduring Harbor, Iron Ward, Magazine Ward, Shipyards and The Quay.
- Middle Wards: Chantry Ward, Dusk Ward, Merchants Ward, Mortuary Ward and Parchment Ward.
- Upper Ward: Company Ward, Griffin Ward and Swan Ward.
Many activities, while legal, require special permits and fees to practice legally. Failing to do so usually results in fines, and sometimes flogging.
Use of Magic: Use of magic is legal, but regulated, in Ammad. Magic encompasses all sorts of supernatural powers, regardless of source. All magic users in Ammad are required to register with the Rune Watch, failure to do so will result in fines and/or flogging (usually only if the offender cannot afford the fines). Upon registration the magic user is granted a permit to practice magic within the city. The permit is good for one year and a day.
|Crime||Lower Wards||Middle Wards||Upper Wards|
|Improper Speech||Night in stocks||Night in stocks, flogging|
|Drunkenness||Not a crime||Night in stocks, Forced Labor|
|Illegal Prostitution||Flogging, Fines|
|Assault||Flogging, Imprisonment, Silencing||Imprisonment, Silencing|
|Theft||Flogging, Forced labor, Imprisonment, Silencing||Imprisonment, Silencing|
|Unregistered Magic||Flogging, Fines|
|Burglary||Medium to heavy flogging, Imprisonment, Silencing, Death|
|Tax Evasion||Flogging, Fines, Forced labor, Imprisonment|
|Smuggling||Heavy flogging, Forced labor, Fines, Imprisonment|
|Major Theft||Heavy flogging, Forced labor, Fines, Imprisonment, Silencing|
|Destruction of Currency||Flogging, Forced Labor or Military Conscription|
|Counterfeiting||Heavy flogging, Imprisonment, Forced Labor or Military Conscription|
|Arson/Rape||Hobbling, Imprisonment, Silencing, Forced labor, Death|
|Treason||Gibbeting, Imprisonment, Silencing, Death|
|Piracy||Gibbeting, Silencing, Death|
|Murder||Gibbeting, Silencing, Death|
- Gibbeting: Criminal is left to die in a hanging cage, on display to everyone. Favored method of executing murderers.
- Silencing: A process of severing a person’s link with the supernatural, used only on spellcasters. Small side effect of slowly driving the Silenced insane.